Sunday, April 5, 2009

SUNDAY RITUAL

I am unashamed to say that my Sunday morning ritual has absolutely nothing to do with incense, robed gentlemen or The Good Book.It does, however, revolve around a troupe of witty, chic and outrageous boys. Yes, that is correct: I spend a slow, sacred, inspiring and hilarious hour touring around the planet known as FABULON.
All that is required is a huge mug of tea, milk please, a comfy chair and a need to be entertained. Anything else gets in the way of what is always a, well, yes, fabulous time.
My happy little habit evolved over time, as the result of a too-busy schedule. When I happened most accidentally onto the site, I was beguiled by their honest love of shiny things, nonpareil ladies ( the deader or more outrageous the better, most naturally)and first-class kitsch. I traipsed ridiculously far back into their archives--I almost wrote annals but that just didn't seem right. I think it was a Saturday afternoon (it must have been),it was skin-chafingly cold, and I had time to kill.
Then, sad to say--slap my wrist,please--I lost touch with them in the whirring madness of my own most stylish life. Fortunately for my future enlightenment and delight, I had the good sense to heart them into my favourites, where they were rediscovered during a later spate of boredom. They have remained, since then, on the radar of all things glittering, wacky, and witty.
The time crunch is ever an issue, becoming worse and perpetual with each passing week. Thus, I found, and find, myself catching up on some of my favoured web spaces on the weekends. FABULON is too tasty to miss, and too tempting to stay away from for long. For months, I have played catch-up with its contents--a week at a time's worth-on Sunday's shortly after rising. Which is to say some time between 10:00 and 11:00 AM.--there is no need to picture me squinting in front of my laptop screen in the dark, like some crazed morning person.
After a few weeks , I realized that I looked forward to this time spent in that oasis of delightful madness. I am a retro-loving girl (yes, really, ,I AM a girl,biologically-speaking, thanks ever so)who likes to kick-it-back old-school on the fashion and movie front. Yet, in this modern world, I am what you might call edgy with a side of crazy,pop-culture kitsch thrown in just for the added confusion. Kind of like those boys over on FABULON.
Which is why I treasure the laziness, the raw over-the-top-ness,and the sheer beauty of the weekly hour I spend on their planet. I also adore the cheeky-tacky and sometimes utterly unself-aware YouTube clips they dig up and the scads of old ads, photos and ephemera which, quite often, act as fashion inspiration for yours truly. There is nothing to not love about the heady decor, positive attitude and dashing vibe of Planet FABULON.Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment