Thursday, April 9, 2009

CANNOT WAIT TO READ:A LIST EVER-GROWING


I enjoyed doing the mini series "A Reading List a Mile Long" so much that I have decided to make it a regular feature.I am always coming across new books, old books, all kinds of books that instantly catch my fancy.I enter them into my beloved moleskin, where they remain until, one day,I am able to cross them off my list.

Many sources help feed my bookish desire. I am inspired by random meanderings through stalls of all persuasion and origin, be they at library, book store or flea market, as well as catalogues and, occasionally, recommendations from others.Through these means, I am always being exposed to new wonders, and reacquainted with old favourites.

This space will be home to some of those finds, as I add them to my anticipatory "Cannot Wait to Read Log".

Today, I am really digging the following:


1-Life in a 17th-Century Coffee Shop by David Brandon (SUTTON) I would love to flow back in time so that I could sit, a mug of that exotic new beverage coffee at my elbow, and observe some of the great literary talents chat, argue and engage in the polarizing topics of the day. Oh, to be at a table near that strange genius, Samuel Johnson! Unfortunately, barring some fabulous scientific discovery, this book is as close as I will ever come to such an experience as that.

2-Murderers' Row An International Murderers' Who's Who by Robin Odell & Wilfred Gregg (SUTTON) File this under: Mae, Morbid Curiosity

3-Dietrich by Malen Sheppard Skaerved (HAUS PUBLISHING) Dietrich is one of those enigmatic phenoms whose lives I will never cease to find fascinating, puzzling and engrossing.I could read a volume dedicated to the German goddess every six months for the rest of my life, and never read my fill.

4-The Custodian of Paradise by Wayne Johnston (NORTON) A novel that appears to have one of the most vivid, memorable heroines in the annals of literature. It is set in WWII Newfoundland, a place that I came very near to visiting 5 years ago.This book will surely resurrect those plans.

5-I Celebrate Myself The Somewhat Private Life of Allen Ginsberg by Bill Morgan (VIKING)Beat poet, intellectual renegade and legend: Ginsberg's life was meant to be chronicled in a vast, encompassing fashion. This books, at 700 pages, at least aspires to accomplish that.

6-Women Who Write by Stefan Bollmann. Francine Prose, forward. (MERRELL)One of the abiding obsessions of my life as writer and woman.
ARTWORK: SAMUEL JOHNSON by EVERT A. DUYCKNICK, 1873


No comments:

Post a Comment