Friday, April 3, 2009

AN INTELLECTUAL TOOL KIT:BOOKS I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT


The Chef thinks that I own too many books, an opinion he does nothing to contain. He is, in all fairness, a recreational reader of erudition, adventure and taste, when time allows. He has insisted on making some introductions that I was hell-bent on avoiding. I am now three novels acquainted with Robert Heinlein, a state that I far from regret. Yet, we differ in our approach to living with books.
I prefer immersion; he prefers minimal intrusion. Had he his way, I would be limited to a case, maybe two. Had I mine, I would keep adding to my collection for the rest of my life, with editing of the ranks but seldom.We have come to a detente. I try to borrow and re-read books whenever I can, and occasionally purge myself of things not wildly enjoyed. He has ceased to complain in as loud a voice.
My book collection is a symbol of comfort and contentment as much as a tool kit of knowledge, growth and entertainment. I have lovingly packed up my 1000 or so volumes numerous times over the last decade. The number of boxes has increased with each relocation.My family and friends happily aid me in my moves, going out of their way to help in any way necessary. Except for the books.They take no pity on me as I lug,heave and haul my lode up and down stairs, and I cannot say that I harbor blame.
If The Chef and I were to make a major move--away from this city--then the book standoff would certainly begin anew. He would insist on a thinning of the herd; I would fiercely maintain my right to keep them all. We already know how this thing will go down.Yet, it has set me to thinking. If I am ever faced with the horror of whittling them down, what would stay? What would make up the criteria? Of all my books, which ones are most precious or useful?
That is what I am going to do, in this space: Review the books that already have a home on my shelves, to remember or determine why they are there and, if pressed to it, whether they deserve to remain. People change over time, and our attitudes and tastes are often altered by degrees too incalculable to detect without deeper investigation.


The investigation begins later this weekend with 'Living Authors', Edited by Dilly Tante.




No comments:

Post a Comment