Thursday, April 9, 2009

Finally, the Recipe is Revealed....with Awkward Photos
















By the time that I finished preparing and consuming my yummy family recipe Monday night, I was, alas, too tired to write about the meal.I made one of my all-time favourite dishes, Potato Soup with Riffles. My Great-Grandmother was the Queen of the Riffle, which is a teensy, flour-and-egg dumpling. Riffles make an excellent, simple and hearty milk-based soup by themselves. They are also an interesting texture and flavour addition to potato soup.
Monday's cold inspired me to a brief period of retreat and hibernation. I wanted nothing more than to cozy up, with a bowl of warm goodness.This filling yet basic dish, which is a long-standing family tradition, really filled that need.

POTATO SOUP WITH RIFFLES
You will need

5 MEDIUM POTATOES, DICED
1 TABLESPOON SALT
1/2 TEASPOON PEPPER
2 TABLESPOONS BUTTER
3 TABLESPOONS ONION, CHOPPED
2 CUPS MILK
FOR THE RIFFLES
3/4 CUP FLOUR
1 EGG

PLACE POTATOES IN A SAUCEPAN, WITH SALT, PEPPER, BUTTER AND ONION. ADD WATER TO BARELY COVER THE POTATOES; COOK UNTIL TENDER. MEANWHILE, TO MAKE RIFFLES: PLACE FLOUR IN BOWL AND ADD EGG TO THE CENTER OF THE FLOUR MOUND. MIX LIGHTLY WITH FINGERS UNTIL CRUMBLY. DRAIN POTATOES AND ADD MILK. WHEN MIXTURE COMES TO A BOIL, ADD RIFFLES AND SIMMER, COVERED, UNTIL DONE--ABOUT 5 MINUTES.

YOU MAY ALSO ADD ANOTHER TABLESPOON OF BUTTER AFTER THE POTATOES ARE DRAINED.

No comments:

Post a Comment