Thursday, April 23, 2009

"For the rain it raineth every day"

The above quote is from Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew".We know scarcely anything of the playwright's life, down to and including actual authorship of his plays. I will never bring myself to believe that the violent,beautiful-tongued Christopher Marlowe or any other Elizabethan but great William penned and coined the most interesting,riveting and varied works and words in all of the English language. Perhaps I am romantic that way but it is a system of belief I will never give a thought of such falsity to,ever.
Shakespeare was believed to have been born and died on the same day, 52 years apart: the 23rd of April.Even that barest of facts is not entirely reliable or verifiable but we'll stick with it for these purposes:celebrating Will Shakespeare on the tiniest of stages,through a handful of his witty,wry and insightful quotes. Enjoy!!

"The common curse of mankind,-folly and ignorance."-Act II, Scene III (Troilus and Cressida)

"Thus the whirligig of time brings in his revenges."-Act V, Scene I (Taming of the Shrew)

"My love's more richer than my tongue."-Act I,Scene I (King Lear)

"Cry "Havoc", and let slip the dogs of war."-Act III,Scene I (Julius Caesar)

"Wisely and slow;they stumble that run fast."-Act II,Scene III (Romeo and Juliet)

A Few Humble Expressions with Which He Garnished the English Language.....

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be" (Hamlet)

"To thine own self be true" (Hamlet)

"Though this be madness,yet there is method in 't" (Hamlet)

"In my mind's eye" (Hamlet)

"The play's the thing" (Hamlet)

"Brevity is the soul of wit" (Hamlet)

"All the world's a stage" (As You Like It)

"Can one desire too much of a good thing?" (As You Like It)

"Out of the jaws of death" (Taming of the Shrew)

"The course of true love never did run smooth" (A Midsummer Night's Dream)

"I have not slept one wink" (Cymbeline)

"My salad days" (Antony and Cleopatra)

"T'is neither here nor there" (Othello)

"what's done is done" (Macbeth)

"I'll not budge an inch" (Taming of the Shrew)



1 comment:

  1. My favorite is from Julius Casear - "my heart is in the coffin with Caesar, and I must pause till it come back to me" -- I just adore that line.

    ReplyDelete