Sunday, March 22, 2009

Umbrella Series #5-Call Me Up Some Rainy Afternoon


I came across this image of sheet music for an old Irving Berlin tune of which I had never heard. My familiarity with his music stems from films, old and new. His songs are still widely used in movies and television. According to IMDB ( The Internet Movie Database ), his work has appeared in both mediums a combined total of nearly 300 times. He also lived to the respectable age of 101--he was still alive when I was in my teens--so it is no wonder that a significant amount of his canon remains unheard by my ears.

If you have never had the opportunity or proclivity to take a closer look at vintage sheet music, you are missing out on miniature time capsules to the art, fashions and pop culture of bygone eras. The sheet music of 80 or 90 years ago is comparable to album art of later years: its imagery runs the gamut from breathtaking to offensive and is always interesting to behold.

While I could not find a recording of the song, I was able to track down the lyrics. They were definitely not what one might expect from the title! I am including them as part of this post. They go to show that, while the calendar and outward proprieties, or current lack thereof, reflect a different year, not so much has changed.


CALL ME UP SOME RAINY AFTERNOON (IRVING BERLIN)


Nellie Green met Harry Lee

At a masquerade the other night

He liked she and she liked he

Just a case of love at single sight

He took Nellie home that eve

And took the number of her phone

Just before he took his leave

Nellie whispered in the cutest tone


Call me up some rainy afternoon

I'll arrange for a quiet little spoon

Think of all the joy and bliss

We can hug and we can talk about the weather

We can have a quiet little talk

I will see that my mother takes a walk

Mum's the word when we meet

Be a mason, don't repeat

Angel eyes, are you wise?

Goodbye


He look'd wise, then looked for rain

Sure enough it rained that Saturday

"Give me three, four, five, six Main

Nellie dear, prepare I'm on my way"

When he rang the front door bell

No one there responded to his call

Soon he heard his pretty Nell

Singing to somebody in the hall


Call me up some rainy afternoon

Then again how's the evening for a spoon

Call around tomorrow night

We can then put out that fire in the furnace

My mama will sure be out of town

She'll be entertained by Mister Brown

My papa won't be 'round, he will call on Missus Brown

Angel pet, don't forget

Goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment