Friday, March 20, 2009

The Family Larder

"If God had intended us to follow recipes, He wouldn't have given us Grandmothers."-Linda Henley



My Great-Grandmother, Ethel to you, Nanny to me, died a few weeks before my tenth birthday. She was much-loved by all, to say nothing of her cooking. Three generations of us sat at her table, enjoying her dishes, taking for granted that the recipes, if not the lady herself, would always be there for us. We were wrong. A handful of prized recipes died with her. Some have been partially recovered though never fully duplicated; others are simply gone.

We love to cook, the lot of us. Our pleasure, collective and individual, in good food could fill several volumes.We savor it, we talk about it, we anticipate it: it is one of the ingredients in the glue that binds us together as a family.

Yet ask each of us which dish of Ethel's we miss the most and you'll have a variety of answers, answers which are likely to change like the weather. I have not tasted real banana pudding in nearly 26-years. Perhaps one day I will make it myself, playing around in the kitchen until I find the exact combination which reminds me,the most, of hers.

In order to prevent such future disasters, my mom and I complied a family cookbook about nine years ago. It was difficult, complicated and a pain. For several months, my Grandmother conducted what we called LEONA'S TEST KITCHEN. In other words, we cajoled and begged and ordered the woman to measure things while she prepared dishes which had long been habit. I am sure that she whined for a moment or two but, no matter: we now all have access to the same well-loved recipes, with the same little-to-no chance of making anything half as well as she does. With all of our ability and passion, my Grandmother remains the head chef and pie maker for a reason.

Somehow, no matter how accomplished you become in the kitchen, food always tastes better when it comes from the family food archivist:Grandma!!

3 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! I totally agree that grandma's classic recipes always taste better. I miss her cooking now. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a "dump" cook -- a bit of this, a little of that, adding as I go along and almost never measuring. But it's great to take the time to put recipes on paper or too often they get lost never to be duplicated. My YiaYia's tiropita... with it's flaky, but chewy crust, and the tang of feta. I must have eaten it at least once a week, growing up. Nothing like the memory of food to bring you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What exactly is tiropita? Anything with crust and feta has got to be good. My Grandmother e-mailed me after reading this post and has promised to make Banana Pudding the next time I visit, which will be next month. I have not had "proper" BP since HER mother died so I cannot wait! Yum!

    ReplyDelete