Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dueling Poets, A Playwright and a Novelist




The 26th day of March, in various years, has given and taken from America some of her most unique literary voices.Walt Whitman, the singer of poetry's songs, died on this day in 1892--exactly eighteen years after Robert Frost, uniquely American, was born. Although often opposite of each other in sensibility and approach, they both penned words wise and soaring, intimate and simple.




"A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom."




"I exist as I am, that is enough."




"A poem never takes notes. You never take notes in a love affair."




"I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best."




"Education doesn't change life much. It just lifts trouble to a higher regard."




"Freedom to walk free and own no superior."




"Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."




"Henceforth I ask not good fortune. I myself am good fortune."




CAN YOU GUESS WHO WROTE WHAT??




Walt Whitman: 5/31/1819 - 3/26/1892


Robert Frost: 3/26/1874 - 1/29/1963




Also on this day:




Tennessee Williams: 3/26/1911 - 2/25/1983


Raymond Chandler: 7/23/1888 - 3/26/1959
PHOTOS, T to B: Walt Whitman ( at approximately 35 years old); Robert Frost ( at approximately 36 years old).




No comments:

Post a Comment