Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Collection Obsession







There are a few things that make my heart and mind exceptionally happy, aside from life's essential, simple pleasures. Any time that I am able to combine two or more of those loves, I feel as if I have been given an extra slice of pie.Rarely do I find something that catches hold of me in such a way as to spark an instant itch to start a collection. Recently, I came across an artist whose work meets all of the above criteria.ART+GOLDEN-ERA MOVIE STARS=LOVE at first sight, at least at the gifted hand and eye of Kate Gabrielle.



I am an old-movie nut of the first tier. It is therefore not by coincidence but by sly design that I write, among other things, both on this site and elsewhere, about Classic Hollywood in its many strange, riveting facets.I also have an art background hidden in the not-so-distant depths of my past. Thus, while I know my stuff, I am much like anyone else: I know what I like when I see it, period.



Kate Gabrielle has an Etsy shop full of delightful, slightly quirky yet spare, and altogether arresting images of old stars.She sells originals as well as excellent high-quality copies, all signed.The array of her subject matter is contained tidily within the name of her shop: silents and talkies (silentsandtalkies.etsy.com). There you will find represented the iconic ( Audrey Hepburn, Steve McQueen)alongside the (to modern eyes) obscure ( Audrey Totter, Annette Hanshaw, George Brent). In between are true heavyweights (Barbara Stanwyck, James Cagney) and living legends (Maureen O'Hara,Shirley MacLaine).



I do not recall, even after such brief time, exactly how I came across her page. Yet, once I saw the images, I knew that a new collecting mania was about to take hold and inhabit my consciousness. I purchased three pieces, all copies;proving that I possess a strength and self-discipline of which I should be proud.



Wrapped up nice and tight, ready for their trip to the framer's, are energetic, personable likenesses of Myrna Loy, Veronica Lake and Clara Bow. They will soon be joined by a number of others; their ranks will doubtless be growing over the next few months. On seeing her work for the first time, I instantly envisioned an entire wall dedicated to her movie star renderings. All that remains is deciding which ones will find their home on that wall,which will act as a giant inspiration board as I sit typing away at my articles and stories-some of which will be about the very people whose faces and features surround me.






ARTWORK: KATE GABRIELLE



PLEASE VISIT HER SHOP AT: silentsandtalkies.etsy.com



HER SECOND SHOP IS AT: kategabrielle.etsy.com



SHE ALSO HAS A BLOG: silentsandtalkies.blogspot.com



PHOTOS BY: THE AUTHOR









No comments:

Post a Comment