Monday, July 27, 2009

Reading List: Fictional Dreaming

I received an unusually compact little Daedalus Books catalogue in the post last week. Upon opening it, I was delighted to discover that it is a fiction-only edition. Like many creative writers, I cannot bring myself to read novels or short-stories when I am waist-deep in my own work. This poses no such problem when I am penning reviews or articles. As I am currently in the midst of two short-stories, I have imposed a fiction ban on my leisure reading. For the near-future, I will be indulging only in writing-craft books, biographies, and history.
This will not stop me from dreaming about some of the fabulous reads contained within that Daedalus Books catalogue.I am, at the moment, intrigued with the following.

  1. 54 by Wu Ming (HARCOURT)This novel contains an epic mish-mash of threads. It is set in, naturally, 1954 and features, among many other things, Cary Grant (yes, that Cary Grant). Consider me interested.
  2. All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren (HARVEST) I own a copy of this classic novel by one of America's foremost 20th-century poets. I think that I am overdue for a re-read, if only to erase the awful let-down that was the 2006 version of this novel (stick with the original 1949 film, if you must).
  3. An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Brock Clarke (ALGONQUIN) Fires and Emily Dickinson? Another strange amalgam of seemingly unrelated concepts that I cannot get out of my mind.
  4. The Bad Girl by Mario Vargas Llosa (FABER & FABER)This is a recent novel by one of my favourite contemporary writers. It is about a man desperately in love with one woman-in-many incarnations, across many years and continents.
  5. The Celestial Omnibus and Other Stories by E.M. Forster (SNOWBOOKS) I am not a fan of Forster's novels. They have never quite worked for me; I did not buy into the epic Merchant Ivory obsession. However, I am open-minded; there is little of value that I will not give a chance to, at least once. I have never read his short stories. This collection houses 6 of them. I am at least interested enough to check this out from the library.
  6. The Conjurer: A Martha Beale Mystery by Cordelia Frances Biddle (ST. MARTIN'S) This is set in 1842, with a resourceful and brave heroine at the center of the action: perhaps not very true to the times, but enthralling anyway.
  7. A Farewell to Arms and The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (VINTAGE)While I can only take Hemingway's novels in small doses, I still find his compact, to-the-point writing immensely refreshing. 'Arms' reminds me of being 18, and getting caught up in the rather melodramatic love-story between the wounded soldier and resolute nurse. Brett Ashley of 'Sun' is, for me, a less tiring, though more artificial heroine. If you combine every female character in all of Hemingway's canon, you may just squeak by with one well-rounded woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment