Monday, July 27, 2009

MISSING THE MAGIC....MOVIE MAGIC, THAT IS

I have loved Classic Cinema since my long-ago pre-teen years. I fell hard for its panache, mystery, and glamour. I quickly transferred that instantaneously-ignited passion into something concrete: I trained for the stage and, for a bit, actually trod those New York City boards. Being a writer is a considerably better fit for my creativity, love of language, and control-freak tendencies. Eventually, I started writing about Golden Age film and its shining stars. Although it only fills up a small part of my resume, cinema is one of my favourite article/review subjects.

It occurred to me, out of nowhere this evening, that I have not, of late, dedicated much thought, blog, or column space to this great passion of mine. I have so many balls up in the air that I let this one fall without quite realizing it: and I MISS it! I have been so busy with all manner of things personal and professional that I have not even watched a single old movie for...well, I was going to type "weeks" but, to be honest, it could be months. See, I am not even sure how long it has been.

Now that I have pondered the subject for an hour or two, I am beginning to realize how much impact the flickers have on my day-to-day life. Their visual impact has run the deepest. I have: been inspired to try Flapper hairstyles and 'forties silhouettes; picked up a handful of interesting retro pastimes;learned to thoroughly enjoy listening to crooners;nicely rounded out my vocabulary to include something less than the Queen's English;decorated a room based on a film set; become quite the quirky hostess.
Writing on classic cinema is my small way of giving back to an art form that has enriched my life in countless ways. I think that I am going to make a date with TCM this weekend, just the two of us....and some old friends.
The point to all of this? I promise to be a good girl and post a movie-friendly post at least once a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment