Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Crossing the First One Off the List:Lemonade


Recently I posted an article about all of the things that I want to do once the weather turns reliably warm. Well, those days are upon us. I am ready to put a slash through my first accomplishment of the season:Lemonade or, to be precise, Lemon Shake-Ups.I love roaming through festivals and fairs. The proliferation of such events is another reliable indicator that we are in Mother Nature's time of benevolence.Food and libation is always abundant at these celebrations. Indeed, the variety of indulgences is one of their key attractions.I have always loved Lemon Shake-Ups and buy one from the first appropriate stand that I see.

A few years ago, I decided to start making them myself. I tried the initial concoctions out on my willing mother.I swiftly developed a couple of variations. I have been shaking up these babies at family gatherings ever since. Enjoy!!


LEMON SHAKE-UP (NON-ALCOHOLIC ORIGINAL VERSION) SERVES 1


Fill a mixing glass 1/2 full of ice. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over ice, dropping the lemon into the glass when done. Add 1/2 cup (more or less, depending on preference)sugar. Fill with water to 1/2" from top of glass. Shake vigorously in mixing tin for 20-30 seconds or until sugar dissolves. Add ice until full.


VARIATION #1-CHERRY-LEMON SHAKE-UP (NON-ALCOHOLIC) SERVES 1


Prepare as above except add 1/2 ounce of Grenadine after the sugar. Finish as usual.


VARIATION #2-AMARETTO-CHERRY-LEMON SHAKE-UP (ALCOHOLIC) SERVES 1


Prepare as above except add 1/2 ounce of Grenadine and 1/2-1 ounce of Amaretto after the sugar. Finish as usual.


Painting:"Girl Holding Lemons" by William-Adolphe Bouguereau

2 comments:

  1. Ooo! Yum! If you're ever in the RI/Southern MA area, you must try Del's Lemonade! It's a lemonade slushy with chunks of lemon and rind right in the ice. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm....lemonade slushy! I wish I could have one right now.I might just have to experiment with that and come up with my own version.

    ReplyDelete