Saturday, August 15, 2009

Television Shows I (Still) Do Not Give a Fig About

I am incredibly strong-willed. I know my own mind. Oh, and I really hate being told what to do, think, like, or watch. This means that I sometimes have a difficult relationship with the media. The Fall television season is nearly upon us; ads for shows new and returning are inundating TV screens across the country. No matter how hard they try-to brain-wash me into liking, or at least tolerating, their wares there are simply some shows that I just do not care about. Including the following:

  1. Real Housewives of.....Anywhere
  2. Gossip Girl/NYC Prep/90210
  3. Lost
  4. Desperate Housewives
  5. Big Brother/The Bachelorette
  6. Mad Men
  7. Entourage
  8. Grey's Anatomy
  9. Dancing with the Stars
  10. America's Next Top Model
  11. Heroes

And some that I am actually looking forward to:

  1. Top Gear
  2. Bones
  3. Lie to Me
  4. House
  5. Fringe
  6. Big Bang Theory/How I Met Your Mother
  7. Project Runway

4 comments:

  1. Mae: Out of the bunch you name, I tried two. Mad Men lasted two shows for me - not even remotely like the era, more like a bunch of over-writerly kids' thoughts on what it was supposed to be like. Lost - well it was a stupid thing that wanted to be smart. I'm just getting old is the problem. I have seen talent and know when it is lacking. All I see on TV is pretty flash by kids that just get younger every goddamn year. -- Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have just confirmed my instincts about Mad Men. Even though, on the surface, it appears to be right up my alley, I have never watched an episode. It strikes me as being an over-produced, over-sexed, hollow soap opera. Even the clothing is not enough to suck me in. I can watch old movies to get my early 'sixties style fix. Rather than watch it and be disappointed, I have decided to skip it altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get your clothing fix from a good Hitchcock film. That red and black dress Eva St. Marie wore in North By Northwest for example. Or just about anything Grace Kelly wore in any movie Hitch directed. I know we're talking 50s there, but the clothes in Hitchcock films do make me happy. Perhaps I'll pop in my Vertigo DVD tonight. Or To Catch A Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so correct! Nothing in a Hitchcock film is out of place, including the clothing. The clothing was always perfection-- especially in his stylized '50's films. If I could have copies of everything that Grace Kelly wore in 'Rear Window' and 'To Catch a Thief', I would be set for life! Elegant but seductive: what a combination.

    ReplyDelete