Saturday, August 1, 2009

Obsessive Summer: My Current Addictions

I have been quite the busy writer this Summer. I have a tub-full of ideas swimming around in my mind--many of which are actually reaching fruition. Lest you think that I am chained to my writing desk 20 1/2 hours a day, I thought that I would entertain you with a list of how I am spending my free-time this lovely season. While there are currently 9,000 or so things that I would love to try/do/enjoy, my leisure spells are a bit limited. The following is what I am digging the most right now....and some of them are quite stellar!

  1. Amado Sur Wine-It is a heavenly Malbec blend. I am sorry Toasted Head Cabernet but you have been unceremoniously relegated to second place in my affections. Deal with it.
  2. Daisy of Love (on VH1)-This one might require some explaining--a vast amount of explaining. It is a strange addiction.It was embarrassing at first to find oneself actually looking forward to this reality show. Daisy De La Hoya was a contestant on 'Rock of Love' last year (which I saw, perhaps, twice). She is not particularly pretty, has more fake than genuine body parts, and is not as stupid as you want her to be. Yes, she is genuinely endearing in a contrived, faux-celebrity way. If that is not reason enough to watch, it features Riki Rachtman (he of MTV's Headbangers Ball) as some sort of mentor/voice of reason and a slew of ridiculous potential 'love' matches. As with most VH1 reality programs, they were gifted with nicknames during the first episode. Although the season finale aired on the 26th, check out the repeats to become acquainted with such winners as Twelve Pack, Cable Guy, Dropout, Fox and, um, Six Gauge.
  3. Colin Hay-This one is bound to redeem my taste. I still have not come down from the Colin Hay concert that I was taken to (as a surprise) for my birthday last month. Yes, that Colin Hay....he was the lead singer of 'Men at Work'. His career has really blossomed in the last 15 years or so, as he has embraced a more low-key troubadour style. He travels around doing acoustic shows that perfectly highlight his wonderful voice and exceptional song-writing skills. His tenth solo album drops on the 19th of this month. Buy it!
  4. Pastry Crust-I don't think there is one among you not aware of my newly-discovered pie-making skills. I have also been on an empanada making spree, which I use a slightly different recipe for. I love making pastry because it is so physically hands-on and comes with almost instant results (and reward)--making it much different than writing.
  5. Farm Town on FACEBOOK-Okay, so I am just about the least-country person imaginable. I am urban to the core. I have no desire to relocate to the sticks, milk cows and raise crops. Yet, none of those things stops this silly application from being absolutely addicting.
  6. Tattoos-Specifically the tattoo that I will be getting some time soon (that is the plan, anyway). As soon as I decide where to have it done. Me being me, it is literary in nature--my preferred translation of a line of Pablo Neruda's poetry. Want to know what it is? Just ask!
  7. The Golden Girls-This is nothing new but I have been enjoying the extended Monday and Saturday evening marathons on We. Enough said.
  8. Social Networking-This is something of a necessary evil for anyone who does free-lance work. The need to market myself means that I must be super-organized so that I don't spread myself too thin. I just joined 'Thirty-Something Bloggers' a few days ago. It is not a particularly high-traffic network but, as such, it won't be too taxing on my time. It is passive self-pimping, really. Add in FACEBOOK and Plaxo and ETSY and I have a nicely growing little professional network.
  9. Eva Cassidy-I am still loving her version of 'Fields of Gold'. It instantly puts me in a serene mood, much as 'Beautiful World' by Colin Hay does. I can easily listen to it 3 or 4 times in a row.
  10. Chicken Lays an Egg-This one is Cincinnati-centric. In fact,it is about 2 blocks from my flat. It is a closet-sized vintage hodge-podge of a shop that is slightly out of place in my very industrial neighborhood. It opened last Autumn, and only does business on Saturdays. They have the most tempting window and sidewalk displays. Since it is so compact, you do not have to waste hours going through rack after rack of crap in an effort to find one or two gems.
  11. Proust-I have always enjoyed flipping open any Proust book and reading random pages. Though apparently not for everyone, Proust created some of the most sublime sentences in any language. I truly believe this...and not just because I had the good taste to be born on the good man's birthday!
  12. The 1920's-I have always been a history buff. When you mix that with my love of classic film, retro pop culture, feminism and fashion, the result is that, at heart, I am a neo-Flapper. I re-discovered the delightful Nancy Carroll a couple of months ago (entirely coincidentally, I am currently sporting a dead-on NC hairstyle), which helped me fall in amour with my favourite decade all over again.
  13. Radiation Cinema-Science Fiction has never been my cup of tea. Yet, after working for a sci-fi based magazine (and living with a science fiction connoisseur for these last few years)I have found things to appreciate in the genre. I am, however, fond of the bizarre, the outsider, and 1950's films. Enter Mykal Banta's 'Radiation Cinema'. I am not going to spend paragraphs telling you about it(though I surely could). Just trust my recommendation. Aside from the snazzy concept, it is well-written, interesting and visually stunning.
  14. Liebemarlene Vintage(EBAY)-This Georgia girl sources out and sells fabulous vintage clothing from the 'forties through the dawn of grunge. She carries an amazing assortment of dresses, all of which start out for the reasonable base bid of $14.99. Her auctions run from Thursday to Thursday. I currently have my eyes on a darling green day dress from the 'seventies. Wish me luck!
  15. 'Zining-I love the hands-on, tactile aspect of 'zining. I am in the race-to-the finish of compiling my next offering. I am doing updates on the process over on my other site, 'A Small Press Life'. Since this is a professional endeavour, it probably should not have a place on this list....but I am having such feverish fun that sometimes it feels like I am playing!
  16. My Creative Philosophy-I am quite passionate about living a small press life. I am an indie artist all of the way-consciously, happily and without regret. I am overjoyed every day that I am allowed to wake up and do what I do, and thankful that there are people who think it is interesting, intriguing or beautiful. Thanks!

1 comment: