Sunday, June 14, 2009

Austen Family Cooks:Rhubarb Pie

I only write about food that I am currently craving.At this moment,I am dreaming about Rhubarb Pie.It is the perfect combination of bitingly tart and deliciously sweet.(The leaves of the rhubarb plant are,of course,toxic:only the celery-like stalks are edible.)When I was growing up,my Grandparents always had a rhubarb patch in their garden,making our various treats as fresh as possible.My ex-husband,being Italian,was entirely unaware that Rhubarb is usually used for desserts:he insisted that it could only be enjoyed raw.I have never come across anyone else--Italian or not--with that custom, nor will I ever try it his way:rhubarb is for dessert,period.We prepare rhubarb in many dishes but pie has always been my favourite.Enjoy!!!!

RHUBARB PIE

FILL AN UNBAKED PIE CRUST WITH 3 CUPS RHUBARB THAT HAS BEEN CUT INTO 1/2" PIECES.MIX TOGETHER 1 1/2 CUPS SUGAR,3 TABLESPOONS FLOUR AND 2 EGGS.POUR OVER RHUBARB.BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 1 HOUR.

PIE CRUST

4 CUPS FLOUR (RESERVE 2/3 CUP)
1 1/2 TEASPOONS SALT
1 TEASPOON SUGAR
1 3/4 CUP CRISCO
1/2 CUP LUKEWARM WATER (TRUST MY GRANDMOTHER ON THIS,SHE KNOWS HER CRUST)

MAKE A PASTE WITH THE RESERVED FLOUR AND WATER.BLEND THE REMAINING FLOUR,SALT,SUGAR AND CRISCO.ADD THE PASTE AND MIX WELL (WITH HANDS).THIS DOUGH SEEMS SOFT AT FIRST BUT DO NOT ADD MORE FLOUR UNLESS YOU HAVE TROUBLE ROLLING THE DOUGH.

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God! Rhubarb Pie! The supreme delicacy of the Midwest! I suffered for years, living in NYC, forced to consume the dreaded, sweet strawberry rhubarb (a profound blasphemy). Easterners didn't have a clue.

    My Indiana grandmother was the queen of Rhubarb. It must not be sweet. It must be tart. Oh, lord, the hunger is upon me! -- Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--strawberry-rhubarb is pure sacrilege. Only rhubarb will do.I posted this particular recipe as a result of homesickness (I had to miss a family function up North on Saturday).Unfortunately,I will have to make the pie myself--and soon! Then you will be truly jealous as I am sure to post a picture or three!

    ReplyDelete