Thursday, February 26, 2009

2009-The Year of Influence

1-Joe Strummer - Strummer is my Holy Grail of subjects. He has influenced me immeasurably-- more than anyone, other than my mom and Grandma. The shaping of my social and political stances, and to my encompassing view of humanity, is keenly attributable to the late leader of The Clash and the Mescaleros. His death , 6 years after the fact, still burns.


2-The Clash-See above.


3-Kurt Vonnegut-Vonnegut and I go way back, to my teens, when I won a drama award at my high school name after the man. At that point, I had only read one of his stories. It was for class and, while I was a straight-A+ Advanced English student, I hadn't given his words much thought. I soon rectified that and was instantly hooked. His non-fiction work has, for me, become a cornerstone of honest and ethical humanity.


4-Debbie Harry-I know, how hard could it be to write about the lead singer of Blondie? If you are me, it is a pretty daunting task. When I was a very young girl, perhaps 7, I decided that I wanted to be Debbie Harry when I grew up, and I have never quite shed my disappointment to have not done so.


5-Pablo Neruda-He was the craftsman of the most heart-stopping poetry ever written, in any language. I would love to properly learn Spanish in order to read every syllable of his poetry as it was intended. Still, the English translations, and there are many, prove that his talent is simply beyond reach.


6-Woody Guthrie-I share a birthday with his son Arlo ( Cancer Power ), known for his anti-war masterpiece, "Alice's Restaurant Massacree", still played by many radio stations every Thanksgiving. His father was the architect of righteous and inclusive protest songs that remain, sadly, all too relevant and necessary. An American original.


7-Paul Newman-Some day. Just not yet, as his passing was a mere 5 months ago.


8-Bjork-Because she is scarily fascinating and because I have been a fan, in not-quite a train-wreck way, since high school.


9-Amy Sedaris-No explanation needed, I trust.


No comments:

Post a Comment